Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day 7

For so long I’ve worked hard to minimize my walking, combining “errands” into one trip (like waiting to go to the copier until I also had to go to the bathroom, since they’re next to each other). I always told myself that it was to save time (true) and to save the environment (ok, only really true if you’re combining car errands!) If I’m being honest though it was also (mostly!) to minimize the walking I needed to do, since I get tired so easily. But now that I’m trying to get more and more steps in, I’m realizing that I need to work to separate errands and push myself to do multiple trips across the same area – forces me to get up and move again, even if it’s just down the hall or up a floor. It’s just a real mindset shift from how I’ve always worked.

I went out to Starbucks this morning – I was feeling a strong need for some caffeine and a little bit of a treat – but I am very proud that I managed to resist not only all the yummy pastries that I would usually have, but also their special holiday beverages (whoever thought of a Caramel Brulee latte is a genius!) Got in and out with a tall skinny vanilla latte (skim milk, sugar free vanilla syrup, no whipped cream) – only 90 cals! Yay me!

Lesson from lunch – try to figure out what you’re going to eat before you walk into the cafeteria. I was upset about a phone call I had just gotten, and so my mind/stomach started saying it wanted comfort food – cheeseburger, French fries. But because I had already planned on having a turkey sandwich on multigrain bread, I paused for a few minutes and convinced myself that while the cheeseburger and fries would be quite tasty, the sandwich would also be yummy and I wouldn’t be angry at myself after the fact for eating it. And I was right, it was tasty!

1 comment:

  1. First of all... Thank you. You are very brave to be doing this, and even more for letting in people you don't know. I have been struggling with a lot of the same issues you have, and it's great to not feel so alone. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete